Tuesday, May 5, 2009

England - the Gimp of Europe

Orwell was definitely on to something profound. In years past, most of us could never quite bring ourselves to truly consider "1984" more than a worst-case-scenario... surely this book was a work exploring the darker corners of a maniacal collective hive-mind - imposing its twisted will on the Individual through technological means, backed by an army of bureaucratic cunts.

But the time is here: where men and women sell their neighbors' liberties for a paycheck. The Thought Police are here and they will suss you out. You are the Other.

It's enough to begin to feel that maybe things are very much different than you were led to believe. That you are peeking behind the curtain. And I am a small mind. Misled as he was on many counts regarding Humanity, Orwell was, in terms of this Vision of his, quite inspired.

While reading this I decided to comment. The experience was truly spooky.

I wrote my comment...

"can you say Orwellian? you must get back to your roots - read this while they still let you - Milton's "Areopagitica" - the thought police have been waiting years and years for technology to lend a hand - now the technology and the will and the institutions are in place. fight, Britain! fight while you still can, you ninnies!"

Then I was prompted to register to post. No problem. But then I was prompted to provide my date of birth... "required by law" to do so, in fact. British Law.

Which confirmed for me that England is in fact the Gimp of Europe.

This makes me angry - because England should know better. Does, in fact, know better. But mostly I am sad because I know my country is lurching eagerly (of all things) down the same path.

Why do those who are so quick to remind us of their "enlightened" status seek to snuff out discourse? What are they afraid of? And aren't these the same that assured us all that "free and open" discourse (even with the enemy) was and is the proper and pure path?

Bring out the Gimp - we are truly fucked.

No comments:

Post a Comment