Wednesday, April 8, 2009

American Eagle 9mm Ammo - a Review

While I enjoy any ammunition I can fire down range, there is no doubt that not all ammo is created equal. Here is a quick take on the

Today's outing to the range involved my trusty 9mm carbine (which, by the way, is a great rifle), a Taurus 9mm and a FN Herstal FNP-9 9mm (the latter two of the handgun variety). The ammunition chosen for today was American Eagle 9mm.

The ammunition functioned just fine in each of the 3 weapons. However, the ammo seemed to be significantly "dirtier" than the Magtech and definitely dirtier than the Winchester NATO rounds. This was significantly obvious given the flash out of the snouts of the pistols, as well as the visible plumes of light smoke. Additionally, and possibly related, the expended shells seems a bit more violent in their ejection than the other brands. Again, not sure why that might be.

Nonetheless, it is definitely a lower quality, though reliable, ammunition. And I didn't note that the price point was any cheaper... though that likely has more to do with the retailer than anything else.

More

Again, I am not offended by it... but I was able to tell the difference. And given that I am a novice to the shooting ranges, that can't be a good thing.

2 comments:

  1. Being nailed in the forehead by flying brass is definitely a big 'fuck no' in my book. And since it happened to 2 of the 3 participants in this most recent session, my vote is to ditch that shit like a bad habit. Happy Birthday Enoch. Happy Shooting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah - you have a point - there is the whole problem with being nailed in the head with brass.

    ReplyDelete